Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A new year, thank you...

Hello.
Here I am, miss twenty-first century, writing a blog!

So, why not start a blog?
I love to write.

I have been thinking a lot today about my new year's resolutions. Usually I don't have those, except to stop smoking, which is becoming tiresome to even say, but this year I really feel that I have some... and they're good. At least, for me....

HB's New Years Resolutions:
1. Get a camera. A good one- not too fancy, but at least 10 megapixels- and start taking some pictures. I moved to the lovely state of Oregon this year and I don't have a camera and that seems wrong.
2. Read more books. I have a lot of them and for some reason this year I have been a slacker in the reading department. I think I read like 4?
3. Make a record. This will happen, but I am not going to rush it. I still have more songs brewing around in my head...
4. Go see more music. Seriously, it feels great, but sometimes I am too much of a hermit.
5. No drinking until I go to Jamaica. that is hopefully at the end of January, and I plan on a major health kick until then (and hopefully afterward too?)
6. Increase my thirty minute workout at the gym to 45-60 minutes. Get my money's worth. I would like to take up swimming.
7. Cook more. I LOVE to cook and bake, and it brings me a lot of joy to feel like I created something very tasty. But I have been a bit of a slacker since moving to Portland, with the exception of homemade soup, some crazy good berry pies I made this summer after berry picking, and general Tsao's tofu (my favorite!!!). I plan on buying Julia Child's cookbook, and also a new Martha Stewart book. Inspiring! Butter!
8. Be better to myself. I tend to be very hard on myself sometimes, and let my anxiety get the best of me. I'm not so bad, I need to remember that sometimes. :)
9. Don't be so afraid of my phone. Call my friends more.
10. Get filthy rich and famous and eat delicious food and travel all over the world. (did i say that out loud?)
11. quit smoking. sigh. cough. sigh.

That's it for now. I'd like to hear yours sometime!
Thanks for reading...
xo, hb

8 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm your first follower (as I lay in bed). I might have to copy 1,2,3,7 & 8 to my list, but sometimes the hermit lifestyle is so nice. Best wishes with your list :) -Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction: 1,2,4,7,8. Me make a record? Eeek no! I'll leave that to the pros.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the hardest resolution you have is to quit smoking, but I'm sure you already knew that. But if you look at it this way, if you quit smoking, you can take the money save and put it towards buying an even better camera with even more megapixels! :P Shortly after you quit smoking, you'll be able to easily increase your work out to an hour.

    I think my resolution is to actually complete one of my personal projects I've had in my head for over two years now. I always seems to start something, but then never finish it... So hopefully I'll actually finish my screenplay this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for a new blog to read! It's hard at first to keep at it, but once you get into it, it is so much fun. At first I felt like I had to post long long posts, but lately I've found just short little snippets or pictures are just as satisfying.

    http://muserantramble.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do the swim! Everything else will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I need all the help I can get in the smoking dept. even though I technically don't smoke that much. (see mellow out on drinking... ahem).
    I can doggy paddle and do the backstroke pretty well, but I feel very silly doing that in the pool with all these euro fools who swim laps well for over an hour. As for this blog, I'm excited to have a reason to write for the sake of writing... I'd like to incorporate interviews with my awesome musician/artist friends eventually, but until then it will be quite random.
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Haley,

    Creating a blog is an excellent idea for a writer like you. It's a great way to sort out your thoughts and feelings and get kind and insightful feedback from a selected few in a safe environment.

    I liked your list. As the "documentarian" of my family, I'm all for getting a camera. May I suggest you check out the Panasonic line of Lumix cameras? I have the TZ5, but they're all quite good, with big, bright screens and wide, sharp lenses. You'll love one.

    I'm also glad to see a new record in your future--and I applaud you for taking your time and letting the songs "percolate" for a while. (Or should I have said marinade? Simmer? Fester?) Aren't words fun?

    I have some resolutions of my own. One is to create a music video for Haley Bonar. No, not just another live performance. But an actual music video to grace the home page of your website. (I was talking to my wife, Pam, today about which of my video production colleagues and friends I could cajole to help out.) I've been making a lot of music videos these days, but creating one for the inimitable Haley Bonar would be an honor.

    Good luck getting out and hibernating less in 2010...although I understand the tendencies towards "hermitude". Sometimes artists need silence so they can hear the muses better.

    Think about what song you'd like to see as a video.

    Your fan, fellow South Dakotan and the bald guy with some good cameras, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found you by accident ;and I just love your blog!
    I'm following now!
    Have a happy New Year!
    :)

    ReplyDelete