Sunday, April 25, 2010

Air and light and time and Space


April. I had a neighbor named April when I was little. She came over and traded out our Peeps on Easter when my birthday fell on that day- I had a big cut on my eye with stitches and I believe it was my 7th birthday. My sisters and I didn't care much for the Peeps but traded for other gory and colorful stuff brought to us by the american holiday association.

This month has been good, maybe more than that, productive. At the beginning I went into "pre production" mode in my basement and started going a bit mad with arranging organic parts with a synth, which can paint a fine picture but also makes it hard to see the outcome. I wore the same "Dave King is my Homeboy" shirt for 3 days in a row, slept in it once, and was afraid to change it for fear of losing my momentum. My friend James was playing drums with me a bit in my little hovel downstairs and then one day my neighbor told me that she couldn't take it anymore. I asked her if there was room to budge, a good time or a bad time for us to play, and she said "No. I did the whole 'musician living in my house thing' when I was in my, like, twenties, in San Francisco". Oh. That explains it! Despite her blowing the whistle on my months of playing music down there before she up and started working from home, I haven't been much up to being there, and have been just playing around for friends and listening to the demos I do have and gripping slightly for the studio time coming up in May. I decided to do my record half at this studio in Cannon Falls (Home of the CANNON CAMERA!), Mn, called Pachyderm. My record "Lure the Fox" was recorded there. So was Nirvana's "In Utero" and PJ Harvey's "Is this Desire" among many many others, and you can hear it in the way the drums sound in the room- though the studio has changed hands and they got rid of their tape machine (sad), the room sound is hard to beat. The rest of the record we're doing at the engineer's farm house, which, I just found out, used to be a sanitorium. Alright. The cast of characters on this new record is lovely, and I absolutely can not wait for it to happen, have happened, be released. It's a wonderful and sometimes excruciating feeling, waiting on something good.

On May 20th I am participating as the musical guest on NPR's new show "Wits" recorded at the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul. Apparently each show has a theme and the theme that night will be animals, so I found a couple of fun covers to do that night, and am hoping that an original animal song may appear sometime between now and then? Anyway, the guest author that night is Susan Orlean, who is famous for her book "The Orchid Theif", which I didn't read, but did see that strange movie "Adaptation", which was interesting. More information here.

In other news. Listening to: Bob Marley and the Wailers "In the Beginning", Neil Young "American Stars and Bars", The Strokes "Is this It", Samantha Crain "You (understood)".
Reading: Charles Bukowski "Last night of the Earth Poems". So good...see the one I posted below.

Thanks for reading. Happy Spring!
xo/hb




Air and Light and Time and Space by Charles Bukowski

"-you know, I've either had a family, a job, something
has always been in the
way
but now
I've sold my house, I've found this
place, a large studio, you should see the space and
the light.
for the first time in my life I'm going to have a place and the time to
create."

no baby, if you're going to create
you're going to create whether you work
16 hours a day in a coal mine
or
you're going to create in a small room with 3 children
while you're on
welfare,
you're going to create with part of your mind and your
body blown
away,
you're going to create blind
crippled
demented,
you're going to create with a cat crawling up your
back while
the whole city trembles in earthquake, bombardment,
flood and fire.

baby, air and light and time and space
have nothing to do with it
and don't create anything
except maybe a longer life to find
new excuses
for.

2 comments:

  1. THAT is a good poem. Thanks for sharing it, Haley. When my wife, Pam, tells people she's an artist, the response is often, "Oh yeah. I used to do art, too. I was thinking of taking it up again sometime...if I can find the time." What artists like you and she recognize--and what people who pretend to dabble don't--is that for a creative person, "making stuff" is not optional. It's what you do. Kind of like breathing. You would never say, "Oh yeah, I used to breathe when I was in 6th grade. Maybe I'll try it again sometime...maybe when the kids are grown."

    It's so cool that you're going to that anxious place of unknowing--despite the obstacles. I agree, as I heard a film director once said, "I'm not always that keen on making movies. But I sure like having made one." Going through the birthing of new ideas is not without its discomfort...to put it mildly.

    Soldier on, oh creative one. The choice on whether or not to create has already been made for you. Now you just have to get through that "excruciating" gestation period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really could have went without the pictures of the ugly girl. Nerveless, waste of my reading. Xo MM

    ReplyDelete