Friday, January 1, 2010

Almost Armed

So far, 2010 has been a very long year. Yesterday my sister Kelsey and I drove from Rapid City to Denver, sad to leave the family, and got some food at a great restaurant there called City O'City and had some breaded Seitan salads and a celebratory glass of red vine, my last for a while (see new years resolution #5). I decided it was best to stay in for the big night, so I made myself comfy at her friend's house that we were staying at while they went out galavanting like good early 20-somethings should do. Me, I pretended I was a few years older than I am and watched the SyFy (what was wrong with sci-fi?)"Twilight Zone" marathon, which brought me back to a happy time in my childhood when they would do that and once my mom let me stay home from school to watch it all day. At midnight, I watched the ball drop on Times Square, feeling somewhat envious and content at the same time, a little weirded out by the Nivea ads on the ridiculous mad-hatter lids decorating a large portion of the crowd.

After some strange dreams the alarm went off and we found a Clover coffee shop (can't remember the name) before Kelsey dropped me at the airport to return to PDX. Unfortunately I was assigned to take a different flight than I ended up on, taking me not directly home but stopping for 2 hours in Spokane, which ranks on the bottom for US airports that I have been to. I shouldn't be so negative, but I REALLY REALLY don't like airports, airplanes, airport food, security lines, etc. Who does, I guess, but whenever I get home I always feel like my life has lost another year. However, I did start reading The Kite Runner today, which I literally could not put down the entire time.

On the bright side, I am home, my cat Pete is happy to see me, I have 2 discs of Mad Men season 2 to watch, and it isn't freezing cold here. Oh, and I have already completed New Years Resolution #1- I ordered a camera a few days ago, and will soon be armed and posting pictures of all sorts of strange and beautiful stuff very soon.

All that being said, plus the fact that a good majority of our fine country is probably hungover, I say 2010 officially starts... tomorrow.

Ta Ta!
xo, hb

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home, Haley.

    I hope you've recovered from the trauma of air travel. I completely understand your aversion to airports. There certainly isn't anything glamorous about them.

    I also understand your ambivalence about staying in on New Year's Eve. On one hand, you watch the coverage on TV and think, "Oh, I should be out there partying with the people." But then, you consider the reality of Times Square on New Years Eve--which is, it's a lot like the airport security checkpoints, where you're cordoned in for hours with no place to go, PLUS it's cold, wet and, unlike the airport, there's no place to pee.

    Congrats on accomplishing your first couple of resolutions. You'll have fun with your new camera. And my wife, Pam, said The Kite Runner, while dark and somewhat brutal at times, was a very compelling read. Now, once you put out that last cig (for the sake of your health AND preserving your beautiful singing voice/money maker), you're well on your way to a great new year. I applaud your efforts...and your resolve!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete