Wednesday, January 13, 2010

my week in pictures...



This week has been pretty great. I am also pretty snap happy with my new camera, and wanted to share some photos of what I'm all about lately in Portland. For Christmas, my dad and his wife got me and my sisters gift cards from Anthropologie, a store I mostly avoid due to the high prices and achy feeling of want that I leave with, so this time it was nice to shop for something without sweating the price too much. This is the sweater I got! The collar is like a mock scarf that loops through a hole on the other side. Snap buttons, too! I'm so dorky. And fancy.

Speaking of fancy, I went to a restaurant downtown called Fish Grotto, which has been a bridge town establishment for over 100 years. It was very tasty, and I even tried two things I've turned my nose up to my whole life: Mussels- wow, yum. And RABBIT (pictured below). It was very tasty, actually, and I liked it better than chicken, though I probably won't make a habbit out of it. The next day when I was walking by a department store, a woman with pamphlets asked if I would be interested in an anti-fur organization. On the cover of her pamphlet was a cute little bunny.

On the subject of cute, the kiddos I nanny, Eliza (4) and Zachary (7), have had a fun week due to the cool and rainy weather. One of their favorite things to do is go to the OMSI (Science Museum). Here Eliza found one of the robots disguised as a cute baby doll. She was obsessed with it's strange sounds.



There was a big to do in our neighborhood with the new Whole Foods Market opening just 2 blocks away from our house! My roomie Suzanne is a marketing director for the pacific northwest stores, so she was busy busy at the special Hollywood "Red Carpet" party. We dressed up a bit to feast on the many free samples of food and beverage. They even rented a paparazzi background to get a photo in front of! Tony Starlight, a neighborhood legend, performed oldies with his band right in the store. It was pretty cool for a grocery store opening!

I have been running every day, slowly clearing out my lungs (tomorrow is two weeks without a cigarette!). This also makes me very bake-happy. I made chocolate chip cookies a couple of nights ago, and also french baguettes with whipped sea salt butter last night! Yum. It's amazing how simple it is to bake bread, it's just all about the timing, and having the time to do so. I had to let mine rise for much longer while I was at work, but it still turned out well.
<---(I found this great little bedside table at House of Vintage for $35 as well and rearranged my bedroom).

Anyway, that's about it for now. I am excited to return to Minnesota in a less than a couple of weeks to play The Current's Rock the Cradle event and hang out with some friends... Thanks for reading!




Later/*hb

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Haley.

    You're doing good things for yourself and, it would appear, having fun doing them. Congratulations on two weeks without cigarettes. Friends who've been there tell me it's one of the toughest, most satisfying challenges they've ever faced. Good thing you've stepped up the workout routine. Those cookies and baguettes sound like an excellent nicotine substitute. (I know dark chocolate is MY drug of choice. That's why I can never give up my gym membership.)

    My wife, Pam, can relate to your comments about Anthropologie. She tells me it's her favorite store. Recently, she got addicted to a series on the Sundance Channel called "Man Shops Globe". It's all about the buyer for Anthropologie who literally travels all over the world to find the most unique treasures for their stores. "That's my dream job!" Pam tells me.

    Looks like you're living the dream, too. Keep it up. It looks good on you!
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Gary- thanks for the comments... It's good to know a few people actually read this stuff.
    thanks also for the mix cd which I received in the mail this week. I will definitely give it a listen while cooking or on acid. (joke).
    I hope you and Pam are having a wonderful new year thus far.
    Take care!
    hb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Haley,

    I'm glad you got the disc. And yes, I do enjoy reading your blog. I'm sure others do, too, but it's surprising how many people don't take the time to at least acknowledge they were here reading. To me, that's kind of like listening to someone tell you an interesting story and then not even bothering to nod. My guess is they don't feel like they have anything interesting to say and think it would be lame to only write, "I just read your blog" (which, actually, would be kind of lame. Ha ha.)

    Things aren't too bad here. For a new adventure in her life (outside of making art all the time (http://pamluer.com), Pam took a part-time job at a new Title Nine story at 50th & France. It's a women's fitness wear place that she loves: http://www.titlenine.com. She's kind of a jock, so it's perfect for her. And I just finished up some videos for my nephew's OBGYN clinics. Not exactly as exciting as Haley Bonar at the Zoo, but it pays the bills. If you want to see how good my videos can look when they're professionally color corrected (I'm still disappointed you had all that RED light on you that night), you can check them out here (especially if you have friends in the southwestern metro who are looking for a new gyno...hey, it could happen!) http://obgynwest.net

    Okay, I'm getting all TMI here, so I'd better wrap this up. I hope there's at least a song or two you find interesting enough on that CD. It's pretty mellow, so you'll want to be in a Pete-atonic state when you listen to it.

    All the best,
    Gary

    ReplyDelete